Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Two colour swirl

Ever wonder how to make those cute cupcakes even cuter? Two coloured swirl does it for me. In a pinch you throw some icing on your cupcake with a knife. If you have a little more time you pipe it on. A little more and you can do a two colour swirl.

So it was my eldest's birthday over the weekend and we went away on vacation, she got a frozen icing cream cake on her actual birthday. BUT the day before we left we gave her her presents and had some home made cupcakes. Instead of sharing a recipe today, I'm sharing a technique. Let's face it, in a real pinch Betty Crocker does just fine. :)
So start by making and cooling your cupcakes. These ones were vegan Mango. I made a regular Butter cream icing.
I took two disposable piping bags (they are recyclable) and put them in a tall glass, just to hold them still as I filled them. So much easier this way.
Then I tinted the icing using Wilton's Gel paste, one pink and one purple. (unlike me, my daughter really is a girlie girl)

Then I tied the top with these.

They are like those old school elastics we used to wear in the 70's early 80's. It basically just helps to keep the icing from coming out of the top of the bag.
Then snip the point of your bags, and place them both in your bigger piping bag like so.

If you have a 16" bag it really works best. I used the Wilton 2D tip for these. Twist the top of the bag to keep it all together. These take a little more elbow grease to get out, but it's still pretty simple. Just keep constant equal pressure.
I practiced on a plate to make sure that the two colours were blending. Then started on the cupcakes.
Cute like this? Yes. But wait. Fun activity find. I was at Winners and saw these:

So without telling my kids what they were for I got them to colour them.





Then after supper we put it all together. Pretty cute no?


1 comment:

  1. Love it!!! I need some of those elastics - i always get icing spilling out the top of the bag :). And ps, did you crimp her hair? luv.

    ReplyDelete