Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cobblestone Bread

Probably the most used appliance, aside from my oven, in my kitchen in my bread machine. I got my first one 9  years ago for my wedding.  I'm on #3. I literally use it twice a week, from Pizza dough, to random breads, to cinnamon buns, this thing can do it all.

So I really wanted to share with you a new favourite in our house, Challah bread. But I didn't get to do groceries yet, on the count of 4 sick kids, so I have no eggs... For the same reason I'll have to wait to share with you my awesome recipe for French bread...

Instead I made an old classic Cobblestone. It is like little puffy, fluffy buns that melt in your mouth. As do most fresh breads. Oh I love bread. Bread and potatoes. mmmmm. Anyways enough about my weaknesses.

I'll share the recipe for a 1 1/2 lb machine, since even if you have a bigger one you should be able to use it.

Place in your machine the following in this order:

1 cup of water
2 tbsp butter (or margarine)
3 cups of flour
1/3 cup grated parmigiana (optional)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed Italian seasoning (optional)

Set it to the dough cycle and let it do it's thing.

Once it's finished you need to get the pan ready. So grab a 8X11 dish and either spray it with nonstick cooking spray, OR if you are like me and love butter, I grease it with a generous amount of butter.

I find that when it bakes it ends up like that yummy bread you can get at Jack Astor's, you know the kind.

Ok so pans ready. Take the dough out of the bread machine and start cutting it in chunks, yup with scissors.

You can either leave them in chunks,

Or roll them into balls.

Cover and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

Melt some butter and stir in, if you want, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/4 tsp garlic salt. For this one I just did butter. about 2 tbsp. (I'm serving with a curry soup, so plain will be best tonight).

Brush the butter over the buns and pop in the oven for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.

Voilà!


They just pull apart.

OH Yum!


1 comment: