Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

This ain't yo mama's Hummus.

I actually know this isn't my mom's hummus. I don't think had hummus until I was about 18. Pretty sad. Not that my childhood wasn't filled with great food. It was all just pretty standard what I now refer to as "white" food. You know, Roast beef, Mashed Potatoes, Casseroles, Shepard's Pie, and of course Yorkshire pudding.. oh that is my favourite.  That being said I clearly remember going to a Chinese buffet with my family and getting an order of French fries with Cherry sauce... wow how adventurous ;). Truth be told I have come a very long way from my European ancestors in terms of food.

The other day I went to visit with a friend, she also happens to be my mid wife for my latest baby. Anyway she made us lunch, and part of this was this fantastic Edamame hummus type dip. I had to take the recipe, and now I have to share it with you. Now when I think of Edamame, I think of those supper salty pea pods you get at the local Sushi restaurant (I can eat these by the bucket), not some yummy goodness that can be spread or scooped.

Now as usual I will let you know, my kids did NOT eat this. But they are pains in my &*% so who cares, me and my husband loved it, served it with a fresh baguette, some cut up fruit and veggies, and some blue cheese. Yummy lunch!

You will need:

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed ( I used Presidents choice)
1 cup frozen petite green peas, thawed
1/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup tahini
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp miso paste ( I omitted this)
1 lemon
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely minced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Start by heating oil and saute-ing the onion and garlic until soft, add the thawed edamame and gentle saute for a couple of minutes.

Transfer mixture to a food processor with thawed peas, warm water, tahini, 3 tbsp olive oil, miso paste, zest of 1/2 lemon, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, and fresh coriander. Puree until smooth.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, sounds amazing! I'll definitely give it a go this weekend...

    ReplyDelete