Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

You don't make friends with salad. Or do you?

Any time I serve salad my husband runs around singing "you don't make friends with salad, you don't make friends with salad". To be completely honest it drives me nuts. I know it is one of those things that you love to hate, if I made a salad without that song... well it just wouldn't be a salad.

Speaking of my hubby, I thought I would pass along his favourite salad (asides Caesar which he has been eating all the time lately like some kind of weird pregnancy craving).

It could be eaten as a side, it can be eaten as a meal, you can throw anything in it that is left in the fridge, my kind of salad.

Here is what I threw in;

3/4 cup quinoa, cooked in 1 1/2 c chicken broth

    1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes, cut in 2 
    1 English cucumber chopped  
    3 green onions, thinly sliced 
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint 
    1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese 

    Dressing: 
    3 tbsp lemon juice 
    2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 
    2 tsp ground cumin 
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper



I literately threw all the salad components in a bowl, and mixed up the dressing ingredients in a Tupperware and poured that on top, Served it next to some steak one night, and home made pizza the next!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! (now I have pictures of Atif singing and dancing in my head)

    ReplyDelete