Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Meatless mercredi

I know I know it's supposed to be meatless Monday, but Monday quickly turned into Tuesday, which is now Wednesday... I digress. 


So for the new year I have decided to make a serious effort to organize my life. This is some work with 4 young kids, but I'm trying. I have 8 more months before I return to work, which gives me 8 months to get stuff in order. This being said I am trying to cut back on expenses, cut out the clutter, and cut out some crappy food choices. 


Here is my super easy Dal recipe. For those of you who aren't familiar, Dal is like a curried lentils. Don't shrug it off because you don't like curry, or lentils. The benefits of this recipe are worth trying it alone. It's simple to make, yummy, healthy and ouber cheap. A true testament to this recipe is that my mother-in-law (100% Pakistani) says she likes my dal better then her own. 'Nuff said. 


Start with some orange lentils. 1 cup



Soak them for about 30 minutes to an hour. 


Drain them well. 




To that 1 cup of lentils add about 5 1/2 cups of water, 1 tsp each turmeric, cumin, salt. Throw in a couple of coarsely chopped green chillies (depending on how hot you like it)


Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. 






At the 45 minute mark chop up a potato and thinly slice an onion. In a separate pan lightly sauté these in 1 tbsp of olive oil just until the onion is soft. Throw this into the pot with the lentils and continue cooking until the potatoes are cooked and the lentils have absorbed almost all the liquid, leaving it looking like a thick soup (about another 45 minutes)






Done. Super simple right? Want to jazz it up a bit?






Chop 2 tomatoes, 1/2 small onion (finely chopped), toss together with a splash of vinegar and some cayenne pepper. Let this sit for a while, then use it as a topping on your Dal. If you have some coriander on hand, throw that in too. :)






Serve it with Rice or some Naan and you are good to go. 


Super cheap, super yummy! 

1 comment:

  1. That looks yum! And thx for breaking it down - i'll give it a try soon for sure!

    ReplyDelete