Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Healthy - er cookie

Cutting out sweets for me is not an option. Sure I would like to loose the rest of this baby weight, yes I will work out, but under no circumstances can I give up my sweets.  What I will be doing is trying to put a healthy - er spin on some of the things I do eat. Now don't get me wrong, there is no healthy option for Nanaimo bars, but I did modify a great oatmeal cookie recipe to be pretty guilt free. 

So here is what you'll need:

1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup room temperature butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract ( I prefer to use almond, but by all means use vanilla)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I like to use the mini ones so the same amount seems to spread further)
1/2 cup dried cranberries

OK so being the lazy baker I am this is how I roll:
Start my combining the butter, sugars, eggs, and extract in a large bowl. 
Add the flours, flax seed, baking soda, salt, cinnamon on top. Mix it all together well. 

Then add the oats, chocolate chips and cranberries and mix it all together. 
Drop a tbsp of batter on a parchment lined baking sheet (easy clean up) leaving enough space for them to spread. 
And bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. 
Let them Cool on a wire wrack. 

The smaller you make them the more you can eat without feeling guilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment