Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Rainbow cake trial run

One of our good friends daughter is turning 6 in a couple of weeks, and I volunteered to make the cake. I love to bake, but actually never take the time to actually decorate much. Plus I REALLY wanted to make this rainbow cake that I saw here. So I won't post the recipe you can check out the link for that. The cake is good, but a bit sweet. And I got lazy so I just used 2 cans of good old Betty Crocker. (that wasn't enough to cover the 6 layers, plus coat it) So that icing made the cake WAY too sweet.

So here we go... this is what my afternoon looked like.


 Made the batter and separated it in 6 bowls (or Tupperware as my dishwasher was full of my bowls.:( )Got my monkeys to help mix the colours. 


Dye them with Gel food colouring. It turns out really good. 


Bake them off in batches (since I only had 2 pans this took a little longer.)
Stack them all up layered with vanilla icing, cover and voila! Now this is with 2 cans of Betty Crocker, and clearly it wasn't enough. So keep that in mind. Plus it was so sweet, so if you are using the store stuff, I say maybe don't do 6 layers. 


OHHH you want to see what it looked like inside??? Ok so this is a rough draft, but here you go:




I'll post the final product some time in the next couple of weeks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment